Friday, July 9, 2021

50 States Sandwich Challenge: New York

Sorry to all of upstate New York but there's no secret that the entire state is dominated by a city on a little island off the coast of New Jersey. New York is the first glimpse of America most of the world sees and it is also my "home city" so to speak.  I grew up a quick ferry ride across the bay from the city; most of the adults I knew commuted there to work, I root for their sports teams, every single field trip (except Poricy Park) I ever went on in school went there.  What I'm trying to say is, yes, I could just take a trip into the city to Katz or one of the hundreds of other Jewish delis between Red Bank and New York to get authentic pastrami on rye.  But that's not the point of this.  The pastrami on rye is the simple, yet delectable predecessor of The Reuben. In fact, pastrami on rye can be found almost 40 years before the emergence of The Reuben.  Sussman Volk opened one of New York's first delis at 88 Delancy Street in 1888, where he served meat on rye bread.  Pastrami came from a Romanian dish called Pastirma, which was cured goose.  Since geese weren't readily available in New York City, many Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe served the much more accessible beef instead.  It is theorized that Pastirma became Pastrami due to the American simplification of words as pastrami would be next to the salami found in Italian delis next door.  Now if you'd excuse me, I have a ferry to catch as I will likely be in tears when I walk into Citi Field to watch the New York Mets tonight live for the first time in almost two years.  



Ingredients:

1/2 lb pastrami

1/4 lb swiss cheese

spicy brown mustard

rye bread


1. Place a generous amount of pastrami on your rye topped with two slices of swiss and as much spicy brown mustard as your heart desires.

2. Put your sandwich in a toaster oven or oven at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes or until the swiss cheese has started to melt.

3. Let's go Mets



No comments:

Post a Comment