Monday, April 27, 2020

Taliercio's Challenge: The Windy City

After getting a taste of sunshine (and a start to my base tan) this weekend, I'm really hoping today is our final cold and windy day.  We need something to look forward to even if that something is spending the summer drinking IPAs while tanning in my parent's driveway listening to Southern Rock as disgusted families walk by.  Certainly not the summer any of us envisioned but hey we're trying our best.  Speaking of trying your best, let's talk about The Windy City, Chicago, a place that really impressed me during the five hours I spent there waiting for a flight back to DC after a wedding in South Bend.  I've always been enamored by Chicago, ever since I saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off, watched MJ and the Bulls win championship after championship, and marveled at Sosa cranking homers over the ivy and onto the rooftops across the street at Wrigley.  From what I gathered (again from my very limited time there) was a more chill version of New York (everyone's yelling at their computer screens at me right now) and I really liked it.  Hopefully, I'll be able to go soon but until then Taliercio's grilled cheeses are the closest thing I have to travel at the moment.   Today's rendition includes some classic Italian meats and cheeses.  Enjoy.  



The Windy City: Salami, Pepperoni, Mozzarella, Provolone, Marinara Sauce


I know, typically people dip their grilled cheese sandwiches in a tomato soup.  That's nice and everything but let me rattle your cage a little bit.  What if, you dipped your grilled cheese in homemade marinara sauce? Oh, that's something you might be interested in? Good, because that's what we're doing here.  This is the grilled cheese from the gods (Roman gods like Jupiter and Mars, not those outdated Greek ones like Zeus and Ares.) Salami and Pepperoni sandwiched by mozzarella and provolone and pressed to absolute perfection with a cup of marinara on the side to dip it in.  Bellisimo! Is this really how you guys do grilled cheese in Chicago because if so I'm willing to forgive your past pizza transgressions.  (I'm cool with deep-dish just don't you dare say it's better than NY Style.) This might sound crazy to some of you, but this grilled cheese really reminded me of Pepperoni Roll Wednesday lunches in high school.  While the rest of the country was chowing down on disgusting frozen pizzas and picking the lunch lady's hair out of their days-old turkey sandwiches, we were living large in NJ with our pepperoni rolls (on Wednesdays only).  Sure, we pay almost double the amount of state taxes as anywhere else but what would you rather have? 

Overall: 9.4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment