Friday, July 24, 2020

PEC Challenge: Dee Dee's Kitchen

After a four-month delay, Mets baseball is back! As you all know, I love this team probably (definitely) way more than they deserve.  Opening Day is always huge for me as it signifies the end of winter and the beginning of what I like to call tanning season.  Is it a little awkward to be enjoying Opening Day on a random Friday afternoon at the end of July with an empty stadium full of cardboard cutouts?  Sure, but I'm still going to enjoy the hell out of some Bud Lights and hot dogs while watching inside the safety of home instead of my usual spot in the Pepsi Porch at Citi Field.  Anyway here are the three ways this 60 game sprint will inevitably end in disappointment for me and the Mets.  Option A) The Mets start the season on a tear like they normally do only to follow up month 2 with a terrible record and miss the playoffs since there won't be any time to make up for lost ground.  Option B) They start the season like complete dogshit (think 2-14) and can't climb out of it (although they'll finish the season strong. OR Option C) They win the World Series, no one will say it counts, no parade or celebration, and it's the only time the Mets win in my lifetime.  #LFGM. 

Speaking of grilled pork product, I had an interesting time getting a pork roll today.  Thinking a place called Dee Dee's Kitchen would be a take out restaurant I was shocked when I arrived to find a bodega/convenience store set up.  Nothing wrong with that but interesting name choice for a convenience store.  Well, their card machine and ATM were both broken due to the storms so they gave me the pork roll for free.  (I'm going back tomorrow with cash to give them, I'm not some freeloader.) Pretty nice though considering the guy at the counter didn't start our encounter friendly (he probably knew everything was down).  Anyway, we turned a negative into a positive and found a solid pork roll in a place I didn't expect.  Also, shoutout to my Aunt DD, happy birthday! (This is why I chose to go to this place today.) 




Bread Rating: 6.6/10 (Convenience store roll.  Not the worst thing in the world but not entirely fresh.)

Pork Roll: 7.8/10 (Multiple slices of thin cut pork roll, well done.  This might have been the most well-done pork roll I've had on this quest so far.)

Egg Rating: 7.8/10 (Not going to lie, I was expecting a microwaved egg here.  That wasn't the case! And for that I'm grateful.)

Cheese Rating: 7.2/10 (Cheese was very melted, grilled cheese like melted.  Which is much better than a half-melted Kraft single.)

Sandwich Composition: 7.6/10 (A good composition here, SPK ratio was there, and everything was evenly balanced.  Nice)

Overall: 7.4/10 (Classic "never judge a book by it's cover" case here.  After a semi-cold welcome and a non functioning card reader, I figured I was in for a disaster of a sandwich. But I was pleasantly surprised by this one.)

Price: $4, which is an excellent price.

Dee Dee's Kitchen is located at 12 Merchants Way, Colts Neck, NJ 07722 

No comments:

Post a Comment