Monday, November 30, 2020

50 State Sandwich Challenge: Delaware

Three weeks ago, I unceremoniously skipped our First State, Delaware.  No, it wasn't because I've had nothing but weird "deliverance" vibes whenever I spent any time there.  I would never let personal opinions (just wait until I get to Maryland) on places take away from this very objective sandwich blog I've had for nearly two years.  But I have to be honest, putting leftovers from a meal I don't particularly look forward to every year didn't get me at all excited.  That's probably why you're getting this blog on a Monday instead of the scheduled Friday. (In reality, I couldn't bear sitting inside my apartment anymore so I took a drive to the Palisades Highway about an hour away just so I could feel some semblance of life. Beautiful drive, by the way.)  So what's the deal, Delaware? Why is "The Bobbie" your signature sandwich? I know people love this sandwich but here's what I previously wrote when eating "The Gobbler" for my Taliercio's Challenge: " I know this will be a controversial choice, but I don't understand people's obsession with Thanksgiving food.  I mean it was created by people (the pilgrims,) who lived the plainest lifestyle imaginable and almost died of starvation upon arrival to North America.  Not exactly who I would turn to for culinary advice." And I stand by those statements.  But enough about me I guess you want to hear what the deal is with this sandwich.  There's a sandwich chain, Capriotti's, which originated in Wilmington, Delaware.  I used to see these sandwich shops all over DC but never went inside one due to the soulless vibe of gentrification the shops brought with them.  Sorry, sorry I know I'm supposed to be highlighting the positives about each state's sandwich and how the Union brings us all closer together.  Anyway, Capriotti's subs first opened in Wilmington's Little Italy neighborhood in 1976 by brother and sister Lois and Alan Margolet, where I'm sure they had perfectly good Italian subs. (Honestly, they have to be good if they could be made into a regional chain.) The Margolet's went to their Aunt Bobbie's (married to John Capriotti), the day after Thanksgiving every year in Baltimore, where she would build her famous sandwiches of Thanksgiving leftovers.  Lois loved the sandwich so much, she decided to put her aunt's creation on the menu of the original sandwich shop.  The sandwich became an instant hit and 44 years later remains the shop's signature sandwich.  For me, this was a boring construction but the sandwich wasn't THAT bad.

Ingredients:

Leftover turkey

Leftover stuffing

Leftover cranberry sauce

Mayo 

White Bread

1. Spread mayo on both sides of the bread.

2. Layer the turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce.

3. Watch football. 

No comments:

Post a Comment