Thursday, February 21, 2019

Sandwich Challenge: Donnie Brasco

Thanks to the older siblings of my classmates in the public school system of NJ, there were two movies I wanted to see on my 8th birthday.  The first was Booty Call (I've always loved rom-coms) and the second was Donnie Brasco (I learned at an early age that Al Pacino was the greatest actor to ever live).  Needless to say, I wasn't allowed to see either of them that year so I had to settle for Jungle 2 Jungle.  The film laid dormant in my mind until, at age 22, I signed up for my very own Netflix account and my parents had NO idea what I was watching (more rom-coms let's be honest).  That's when one night, Netflix's advanced sabermetrics recommended Donnie Brasco and I'm glad they did because at that time I only thought there were two good movies starring Johnny Depp.  The movie is the true story about FBI agent Joe Pistone working undercover in the Bonanno crime family under the alias Donnie Brasco.  Pistone is played by Depp who gets in with aging gangster Lefty Ruggiero, played by Al Pacino by calling out a diamond dealer for selling Ruggiero a fake ring. I have no idea how the hell they fell for the fakest name of all time but after that, Pistone gets into the crew while struggling to keep his mob life and real-life separate.  In the end, he brings down Ruggiero for a nice $500 check and a medal, which is what I hope to receive when I eat all of these sandwiches.

The Donnie Brasco: Shaved Grilled Chicken, Vermont Cheddar, Bistro Sauce

There are just as many ingredients in this sandwich as there are good Johnny Depp movies, three, but don't let that stop you from enjoying the show.  This panini hits all of the points, solid meat (grilled chicken), melted cheddar that will make you lament the fact that you don't eat grilled cheese enough, and homemade bistro sauce.  What the hell is bistro sauce? I honestly have no idea exactly what it is it's not like I'm running a food blog here. It tasted like horseradish (amazing as is), mayo and mustard.  We as a people need this to become a more mainstream condiment, get bleu cheese OUT of here.  Classic case of less is more with this panini, one I would definitely put in my rotation.  

Rating: 8.1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment