Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Sandwich Challenge: Tony G

On February 26th, 1989, the new owner of the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry Jones, fired legendary coach, Tom Landry after 29 years with the team.  Jerry immediately hired Jimmy Johnson and took Troy Aikman with the number one pick in the draft.  The Cowboys then won three Super Bowls in 4 years (92, 93, 95) and established one of the great dynasties of the early 90s.  Some have said the Cowboys dynasty of the 90s was born on that day.  But that's not all.  That's right, folks, today is my 30th birthday and I am gracefully stumbling into a new decade of life with a sandwich that could only be described as my "bizzaro" order, the 'Tony G.'*  

Is this sandwich named after me?  Firstly, I've never gone by the nickname Tony (my mom would throat punch you if she heard you call me that) and secondly what in the world is broccoli rabe and why is it on my sandwich?  Well, kids here's today's lesson: Broccoli Rabe. Is. Not. Broccoli.  It's actually a vegetable called rapini, which I guess is similar to collard greens and kale.  I've never really had broccoli rabe but they say your taste buds change every 8 years so here goes nothing.  


Tony G: Turkey, Broccoli Rabe, Provolone, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Balsamic Glaze


I actually liked this sandwich much more than I thought I would after looking at the ingredients. (Character growth at age 30). Of course, the turkey really shines on this sandwich, look at all of it but sun-dried tomatoes are totally underrated and really work in harmony with the broccoli rabe. The broccoli rabe is definitely an acquired taste but hey, grow up.  This is a solid summer option for a sandwich, I'm just really glad I got it when it was 34 degrees outside. At least there are only 90 DAYS UNTIL MEMORIAL DAY. 

Rating: 7.1/10

And to keep it super optimistic for anyone else who is about to close the book on their 20s here's an incredibly relatable song by The Menzingers.  Enjoy.  




*If you are wondering what the 'Anthony G' would be it's this: Turkey, Pepper Jack, Jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, tomatoes, onion, chipotle mayo. Panini Pressed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment