Monday, February 4, 2019

PEC Challenge: Atlantic Bagel Company 3

So how about that Super Bowl? While we sit here contemplating what we are all doing at work today, let's talk about bagel franchises.  Back in Virginia, there were only a few places to get bagels and they were all franchises. I'll let you guess which franchises they were in the comments below but only one could maybe count as a "bagel shop." Will I make a trip down there to lowlight them? You bet. ABC is one of three in the area, with locations in Rumson as well as Atlantic Highlands. We'll get to the Gem's empire and their SIX locations later.    



Atlantic Bagel Company took over this deli location around 6 years ago but the place will always have a special spot in my heart.  Why? Because what you are looking at above is just up the hill from the street I grew up on.  Almost every day, my friends and I would ride our bikes to this deli after school for our prescription of peach rings and Vitamin Water (shout out 50 Cent).  A few years later, it would become an oasis of hangover remedies, only a short but long quarter mile walk I would make on almost every holiday I spent visiting into adulthood.  Is this the best place to get a PEC in town? Certainly not. But when you're staring down the barrel at a debilitating hangover sometimes all you need to do is look down the street.       


Bread Rating: 6.2/10 (Not the greatest bagel in the world, but better than bagels out of state)

Pork Roll Rating: 6.4/10 (Could have used an extra slice)

Egg Rating: 7.2/10 (They actually do the opposite of Johnny's and put multiple layers of egg around the pork roll)

Cheese Rating: 6.2/10 (Average Kraft single like cheese you'd probably find at most places)

Sandwich Composition: 6.3/10 (a TON of ketchup, you'll definitely need a napkin for this one.) 

Overall: 6.4/10 (Just like last night's Super Bowl, it exists)

Price: $4.75, cards require $10 minimum 

Atlantic Bagel Company 3 is located at 283 NJ-35 (Seaside Highway), Red Bank, NJ 07701

*I always wanted to buy this place and called it Sunken City deli after the neighborhood I grew up in so if you're from ABC name your price.  Also, I know next to nothing about running a deli so I'm hiring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment