Thursday, January 31, 2019

Sandwich Challenge: The Gambino

I know what you're thinking.  Where's the connection between an NJ Italian deli and a rapper/actor/hero from Atlanta? Well, let's go back to 1910 New York City when the Gambino crime family was founded as one of the original "Five Families" that would dominate organized crime for 100 years.  I recently just watched the A&E special "Gotti: Godfather and Son" so I would call myself an expert on the subject.  In 1992, John Gotti was jailed for his role as head of the family in a highly popularized trial.  Three short years later Raekwon (of Wu-Tang Clan for you rubes) released his solo album "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx." Why is any of this important? Well, this album mentioned Gotti and the Gambino family quite a bit and ushered in the period of "Mafioso Rap." And that, friends, is how young Donald Glover chose to be known as Childish Gambino. Weren't the 90's great? 




TRIGGER WARNING: If you're a bleeding heart for baby cows stop reading here because there is a TON OF VEAL on this sandwich and I'm going to spend the rest of my time telling you how much I love veal. Sorry. 






The Gambino: Veal Cutlet, baby arugula, tomato bruschetta, squeeze lemon


 I don't remember the first time I had veal.  It probably started at a very young age which could explain how I grew up to be 3 inches taller than my parents. Italians am I right?  This sandwich was like a complete meal, you had your bruschetta appetizer with a veal cutlet entree and a side of arugula salad with lemon dressing.  I know, I know "but there's no CHEESE." I hear you. But I'm jumping in the ocean this weekend and I need to prematurely be beach ready.*  

Rating: 7.5/10

*You can donate here to help my crew support families battling ALS.

https://ssl.charityweb.net/joandancyandpals/valentineplunge/mikesgiants.htm


And now some outro music to get you through the rest of your day in sub-zero temps. 





No comments:

Post a Comment