Monday, January 7, 2019

Sandwich 1 of 73: Italian Hero




And here we go.  New Year, the perfect time to start a new food adventure.  I've done one of these before in Virginia at a local spot near my office, Lost Dog Cafe, where I tried all 56 sandwiches in a calendar year. It's probably best that none of that was documented since they couldn't even figure out what kind of bread to use on their sandwiches.  

This will not be the case with Taliercio's, the bread will always be perfect so we'll just skip to the meat of the sandwich and there is a ton on this one.  The Italian hero is the quintessential sandwich of NJ, one you can find at all delis, so we're starting out with the baseline of excellence here.  Ham, Salami, Pepperoni, Provolone with lettuce, tomato, onion, and oil & vinegar.  Clockwork.  You can really taste the fresh provolone on this one.  After eating non-Boar's Head products at "delis" in DC for years this is the perfect way to kick off this tour.  Damn, it feels good to actually have fresh deli ingredients again.  






Lost Art of Layering


I'm going to arbitrarily rate these for "data" purposes.  I'm expecting all of these sandwiches to be excellent, however, some may not be to my tastes.  The ratings are simply so I can rank them once I'm finished and for all 5 of you reading this to argue with me.  This score will be the baseline of all sandwiches to come since it is the classic deli sandwich in my mind.  

Rating: 6.6/10

Classic, workhorse, you can never go wrong with an Italian.  

No comments:

Post a Comment