Friday, January 24, 2020

Taliercio's Challenge: Memphis BBQ

Oh, you thought there would only be ONE Tennessee city represented at this New Jersey deli? Well, you're wrong (there's more to Tennessee than just Nashville) because seemingly an employee here has also been to Memphis (Or is just a big Penny Hardaway fan).  The rivalry is bitter but from as far as I could tell, Memphis and Nashville have about all the same things (lively bars featuring live music, a fun downtown street where partying takes precedent, and top-notch local cuisine).  Nashville just has a better PR firm with multiple TV shows revolving around country music, while Memphis remains a mainstay on the show Cops.  I would never dream of judging between Beale Street and Broadway, Graceland and The Opry, Justin Timberlake and Miley Cyrus, Jerry "the King" Lawler and Honky Tonk Man, the Bass Pro Shop shaped like a lifesized replica of an Egyptian pyramid and that Batman shaped building.  I'd never pass judgment on the pride of rival cities. Couldn't be me.  Well, mostly this time because I've never been to Memphis so I can't really make a proper judgment.  But when a city makes the claim of having "The Nation's Best BBQ" you better believe I'm going to take notice.  What better way to be introduced to a region's prideful cuisine than to enjoy a take on it from a deli in New Jersey.  For what it's worth, I'm expecting this to be just as authentic as the Nashville Hot Chicken, so don't sweat it Memphis, someday I'll have some random reason to visit your city and try the BBQ. 

Memphis BBQ: Sliced BBQ Chicken, Cheddar, Pepper Jack, BBQ Sauce, Sliced Pickle


Now while I personally enjoyed this grilled cheese for its cheesy rendition (pepper jack!) of some BBQ hits.  Here's what my co-worker who is from Memphis had to say when I told her what was included in the "Memphis BBQ" grilled cheese.  

1. "BBQ chicken! That's a travesty.  Memphis BBQ is pork."
2. "Memphis BBQ sandwiches come with coleslaw ON the sandwich."
3. "The pickle is iffy-Corky's (generally the most internationally known Memphis BBQ) puts one on top of the sandwich. No one else does." 

It seems like a strikeout to me on authenticity but hey, good thing it was decided that we can still enjoy things that are good.  And this is a good grilled cheese sandwich. You get a mixture of two all-time kinds of cheese with some sliced chicken slathered in BBQ sauce.  What's not to like there? (Other than buffalo sauce being superior to BBQ sauce. Don't @ me).  I don't know about you, but Elvis isn't walking through Taliercio's door to give a proper assessment so I think we're safe for now. (I would love to know the number of people from Memphis that have ever been to Taliercio's).  Placing the o/u at 2.5 and hammering the under. 

Overall (Taliercio's sandwich rating): 7.4/10
Overall (Memphis BBQ rating): I've never been to Memphis so I have no idea. 

Since I've never been and don't have a picture of what the real deal looks like (with cute IG filtering named after the city), I'll leave you with one of the top ten most underrated karaoke songs of all-time. 

Have a good weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment