Thursday, September 16, 2021

50 States Sandwich Challenge: Virginia

 Ah, Virginia.  The self-proclaimed place "for lovers" and my 2nd favorite state I've lived in (out of 2). I was a resident of the state of Virginia from 2012 until 2018 and not once did anyone ever suggest to me that I needed to try the ham.  Sure, you can find Virginia ham anywhere, but still, a little suspicious right off the bat. In fact, my first experience with authentic Virginia ham came after I moved back to New Jersey, when my friend, Herman, brought some to my place from Virginia.  Frankly, this sandwich is a little boring, as it's just Virginia ham on white bread, with a hilarious dash of adventure only the descendants of English colonists could muster, mayo spread on the white bread.  But back in the 1600s life was a lot harder and ham became a staple of colonial cuisine as cured meat lasts long and travels well.  The ham industry set down its roots in the town of Smithfield, Virginia; where hams remained one of the colony's most profitable export to the Old World, even after American independence.  Queen Victoria reportedly had a standing order for six Virginia hams a week and there's no doubt that the salty slices of meat are a delicious lunch option. Today, the Virginia ham business is still thriving as it remains one of the more popular lunch meats (and holiday meals) in the country.  Personally, I think you gotta live a little bit more, but a ham sandwich will always be a classic and hold a special little piece in my heart. 


Ingredients:

1lb Virginia ham 

White bread

Mayo

1. Spread mayo on both sides of your bread and then stack the heated ham onto your bread. 

2. Literally, that's it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment