Thursday, December 5, 2019

PEC Challenge: Town Bagel & Grill

What a 24 hours it has been to be a New York Mets fan.   After losing a homegrown 29-year-old stud starting pitcher to hated rivals the Phillies (to a 5 year $118M deal that the Mets didn't even attempt to match), it appeared hope was lost.  The stingy Wilpons have struck again.  While all the teams around us improved, the Mets only move this off-season have been hiring a new manager.  For those unfamiliar with the Mets ownership situation let me briefly fill you in.   The Mets play in New York, which is the largest market in the country, and have been forced to endure small market team moves due to the Wilpons involvement in the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme.  In addition to that, these assholes have done things like ruined careers by forcing players to play through an injury, calling their managers in the dugout to make pitching changes even though they don't know shit about baseball (also known as micromanaging hell), and collecting insurance money on injured players (they've allowed being injured) and not reinvesting that money back into the team.  They created a joke of a franchise culture despite having one of the most passionate fanbases in the MLB.  But now we have been saved.  Yeah, I'm pretty sure new owner Steve Cohen is a total scumbag as well, but this scumbag has $13 BILLION and has a win at all cost mentality so as long as he turns this ship around I'm happy.  Is it sad that getting a new owner and not actually acquiring any new talent on the team is making me optimistic about the Mets in 2020? Absolutely.  Am I about to bet on them to win the World Series again? You bet. OK enough about the Mets you don't care, I just had to get that off my chest before eating a celebration pork roll.  

This morning I went to a spot that always appears on my Seamless and DoorDash apps when I get food delivered, Town Bagel & Grill in Eatontown.  I should have probably gotten this delivered this morning because when I got back into my car to drive home I found my battery dead.  This couldn't be possible since I replaced the battery just 11 months ago.  While waiting for AAA to give me a jump a man walked into the store asking if anyone had a (piece of absolute shit) Black Volkswagen Jetta.  "Great, this guy is going to give me a jump."  Nope, he wasn't AAA.  He was just telling me I was getting a flat tire.  Is this what I deserve for dancing on the graves of baseball's most hated family? Probably, but it turns out the battery wasn't dead after all, the cord connecting the battery was just loose so now I have to track down the last person who worked on my car and write them a strongly worded email directing them to this blog.  The good news is after 2 weeks on the road with less than stellar PEC attempts in VA and MA, I'm back in NJ for the real deal.   




Bread Rating: 6.7/10 (Kind of a bagel/roll hybrid.  The top looked like a bagel but the bottom was more like a roll.  Weird.  I'm not convinced this place is an actual bagel shop but rather a deli, which is fine except it literally says bagel in the name of their store.  Confusing.)

Pork Roll Rating: 7.7/10 (Three pretty thick pork roll slices that were excellent.  Out of staters please take notes.)

Egg Rating: 7.4/10 (Egg was seasoned and fried well and didn't overpower the pork roll which you love to see.  The egg is supposed to complement not make the entire sandwich.)

Cheese Rating: 6.4/10 (Average imitation cheese product.)

Sandwich Composition: 7.5/10 (I liked the look and taste of this sandwich.  The SPK was spot on and it didn't leave me overly full so it was a good size for someone who was waiting 45 minutes for AAA to arrive to fix my car.)

Overall: 7.1/10 (This is what a PEC is supposed to look like as a baseline.  Would I go out of my way to go to this place? No.  But if you're heading northbound on 35 from last-minute Xmas shopping at the Monmouth Mall maybe give it a shot.)

Price: $4, credit accepted. 

Town Bagel & Grill is located at 37 NJ-35, Eatontown, NJ 07724.   

No comments:

Post a Comment