Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Taliercio's Challenge: The Jersey Shore

 Ten years ago a show debuted that (predictably) took the world by storm.  We're talking about Jersey Shore.  Before Jerzday's became a weekly holiday, I (along with most of the people I knew growing up), was pretty annoyed by this new MTV concept. 




OK, maybe it was just me.   I was in college in DC when the show was released and while I had, of course, encountered plenty of people (many who were related to me) who dressed and looked like the cast of Jersey Shore, a ton of my friends at school had no idea people like this existed.   Likely because I have 0 hair product in my hair, don't look orange, and don't wear gold chains and Gucci shoes (maybe I should start to?).  As I began describing my summers at home, I realized, "Fuck, maybe it actually is like the show."  My daily routine during my summers in NJ always consisted of three things: Gym (shoutout Retro Fitness), tan (beach every morning none of that tanning booth shit), laundry. But the clip that really turned me from "This show is an abomination" to "This might be the funniest and most relatable show of all time" came during the season one episode where "The Situation" excluded "Sammi Sweetheart" from surf and turf night, ravioli night, and chicken cutlet night.
Iconic.  

I think I must have said that to about a dozen people who tried to weasel their way into dinner at my house (RIP to my crack den of a house in NE DC, The Dougie) when they found out my mom sent me food from home.  And from there, I truly embraced it.  From every "T-shirt Time" and every smush room.  Every meatball day followed by a chicken cutlet night.  A ridiculous show with ridiculous people making us laugh.  And sure they might give us a "bad reputation" but fuck it, it was bad already, and we really don't give a shit.  Now that my ode to the show is complete, let's take a look at Taliercio's "Jersey Shore" panini. 

Jersey Shore: Chicken Cutlet, Cheddar, Hot Peppers, Tomato, Ranch Dressing

Just like the show Jersey Shore, my initial reaction when seeing this panini was met with disappointment.  I could smell the ranch dressing when I unwrapped the panini and was horrified by the thought of cheddar cheese on a chicken cutlet.  Almost exactly how I was horrified that a cast of Bennys from Staten Island/Upstate NY/Rhode Island was about to star in a show portraying my home.   But I was surprised to find myself actually enjoying the show and this sandwich for reasons still unknown to me.  It's entertaining.  It has flair.  It has almost the exact attitude I grew up with.  Sure the ranch dressing and cheddar cheese are a weird addition,  but the meat of the sandwich, the chicken cutlets, as well as the hot peppers (the hot peppers give it the perfect zing to balance out the ranch), are the real star here.  And no show has popularized chicken cutlets as much as this one.  I suppose the lesson we can take from this is "Never judge a book by its cover," but the real ones know the actual lesson here is: 

"Never fall in love at the Jersey Shore." 

Overall: 7.2/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment