Friday, December 13, 2019

PEC Challenge: Summit Diner

Last Sunday, as I was driving my girlfriend to the airport at 8am following our third straight week of surprise 30th birthday parties (shout out, Willy, HBD), I realized I might have needed something a little stronger than your average pork roll, egg, and cheese.  Yes, I needed the top of the line, something to power me through the rest of the day (that included watching football and drinking a million bud light pitchers at Dylan Murphy's in the city, thank you Tom for the hospitality). And would you look at that? A longtime favorite and the top of many a pork roll list, Summit Diner is just a short 15-minute drive from Newark Airport.  After a couple of weeks on the road, I can finally continue my "Top Pork Rolls of NJ" list validation tour.  The Summit Diner is right on the main drag of a cute downtown area you'd find in dozens of suburban Jersey towns.  Opened in 1929, this diner is one of the oldest in New Jersey, a prototypical rail car-style diner you remember your grandparents taking you when you were a kid, and I was delighted to find an open seat on the old countertop when I walked in.  I think the counter is one of the best things about a diner, you can enjoy a meal completely alone and it wouldn't be weird, in fact, I find it rather peaceful among the hustle and bustle of a diner.  After a brief misunderstanding of calling it pork roll (they call it Taylor Ham in Union County, whoops!), I was on my way to one of the more uniquely NJ experiences you can find.  Just a guy in a diner, eating a pork roll, egg, and cheese.  It almost brings a tear to my eye. 

I mean this might be one of the most beautiful pictures I've ever taken.


Bread Rating: 9.6/10 (A perfectly toasted hard roll.  I honestly don't think I'll find a better-toasted roll.  The griddle at Summit Diner is second to none, you can close your eyes and picture the generations of people enjoying a breakfast made on it.  Oh, they toast the bread on that griddle FYI.)

Pork Roll Rating: 9.4/10 (Two thick slices of what they called Taylor Ham.  We're in North Jersey now.  A ton of flavor and heartwarming grease.  Oh, and did I mention its griddled right in front of you.  I love these old diners so much.)

Egg: 9.3/10 (Fried egg like you dream about.)

Cheese: 8.2/10 (There's a block of American yellow next to the griddle straight from the deli.  They slice it from the block and melt it right into the toasted roll and pork roll.)

Sandwich Composition: 9.2/10 (A masterpiece of composition.  No ketchup but truth be told, I didn't miss it.  This sandwich was put together with years of experience behind it and you can't put a price on experience.) 

Overall: 9.1/10 (Well, Mr. Genovese got this one right, this is perhaps the best pork roll, egg, and cheese in the state if not the best NJ PEC experience.  From the old school railcar set up, to your sandwich being prepared right in front of you.  I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for an authentic NJ PEC experience.)

Price: $4.50, cash.


Summit Diner is located at 1 Union Pl, Summit, NJ 07901

No comments:

Post a Comment