Tuesday, February 16, 2021

50 States Sandwich Challenge: Louisiana

 Full disclosure, I did not do Louisiana any justice with this Muffalleta.  The ingredients seemed correct but I had just arrived at a Vermont ski cabin and only had Long Trail IPAs on my mind.  So I may have miffed this sandwich a bit.  The olive tapenade that I got from the Italian deli was NOT the correct replacement for the creole olive salad and I'll never forgive myself for it.  Luckily, I already wrote about a Muffalletta done right at Taliercio's.  Traditionally, this sandwich should be on a round Italian loaf, but I could not find this anywhere at 7 in the morning before my trip so I used semolina bread (which is also what is used at Taliercio's). As perhaps the largest mixture of cultures in the U.S, New Orleans has a ton of cuisine to choose from as Louisiana's sandwich contribution.  Frankly, I thought for sure I would see a Shrimp Po Boy here but apparently that is reserved for another Gulf state down the line, so here we have the Muffaletta, created in 1906 at Central Grocery Co. by Salvatore Lupo, a Sicilian immigrant of New Orleans.  It really is a simple sandwich, an Italian charcuterie on bread if you will. I took my recipe from Emeril Lagasse, obviously, although I did not yell bang when I ate it, mostly because the olive tapenade I bought was disgusting.  

Ingredients: 

1 large round bread loaf (I used semolina)

1 cup Creole Olive Salad (That I stupidly replaced with olive tapenade)

4 oz salami

4 oz cappicola

4 oz mortadella

4 oz thinly sliced mozzarella

4 oz provolone

1. Fill the sandwich with all of these ingredients.



No comments:

Post a Comment