Saturday, June 8, 2019

PEC Challenge: Moody's Delicatessen & Provisions

Greetings from Boston, Massachusetts home of the Freedom Trail, an aquarium, Ben Affleck, and everyone's favorite sports fans.  Despite being from New Jersey, I actually don't hate Boston, and I'm not just saying that because I'm being held here at gunpoint.  No matter how annoying it is that they always win at every single sport and have competent sports owners, they actually give a shit about their teams which I will always respect. (But still, fuck you guys).  As one of the premiere college cities in the northeast, it would be irresponsible of the city to not feature a deli serving pork roll.  Can Boston win yet again? Or are they about to be completely embarrassed by a low-tier blogger?  Let's find out together. 


Moody's is tucked away beneath the 500 Boylston building which I'm assuming is a place a lot of people work since they looked very surprised to see me stroll in at 830am on a Saturday. The above is Moody's take on the classic Pork Roll, Egg, and Cheese.  Sure, it might look like a homemade version of a ham McMuffin from here but let's take a closer look.    

Bread Rating: 7.6/10 (homemade English muffin was an interesting move but it was good so I couldn't even hate on it.)

Pork Roll Rating: 3.6/10 (here's were it unsurprisingly fell off the wheels a bit.  Two thick slices of what was allegedly pork roll.  I'm not sure what brand they used but it didn't exactly taste like pork roll. We'll call this pork roll adjace, I think they just sprinkled some pepper on some ham and grilled it up, serving it to the ignorant, but not on my watch)

Egg Rating: 6.2/10 (the Scrambled egg was fluffy and caught me a bit off guard.  I didn't hate it, just a rookie move)

Cheese Rating: 3.5/10 (apparently there was cheese mixed in the scrambled egg? I didn't notice it but it could be why the egg tasted better.)

Sandwich Composition: 7.8/10 (this rating might surprise you given the last three categories but despite the many, many rookie moves, the sandwich did not fall apart and still had a unique taste.  Why? Because they added spicy ketchup to the mix.  Is this cheating to get into my good graces? Maybe, but this isn't the first time a Boston organization has resorted to bending the rules.)

Overall Rating: 5.7/10 (As far as a traditional pork roll, egg and cheese are concerned, this place missed the mark a little bit but I get it we aren't in NJ and this is their interpretation, which whatever I'm not offended or anything.  It was still an edible breakfast sandwich, which is apparently something the rest of the country has difficulty preparing.  The breakfast sandwich I received in Williamsburg last week would make you cry, I didn't even have the heart to take a picture of it.)   

Price: $7, which is offensive but I guess when you're in a downtown of a major city this is expected.  Cards accepted.  

BONUS RATING: Since the guy felt bad about the wait, he gave us two bags of homemade truffle chips and they were fucking amazing so if you ever go to Moody's get those. 

Moody's Delicatessen & Provisions is located at 500 Boylston St, Boston, MA 02116.

No comments:

Post a Comment