Tuesday, June 25, 2019

PEC Challenge: Newark Liberty International Airport

Before I jumped into the SF food scene last weekend, I fueled up for the six-hour flight with the only airport pork roll, egg, and cheese available anywhere in the world (I think).  The newly renovated Terminal C at Newark Airport (not an ad) allows you to order food, booze, and in my case chocolate milk right to your gate by using one of the many available tablets (thanks taxpayers!).  As someone who has experienced twelve years of public school and one summer working concessions at Monmouth Park, I know a meal provided by ARAMARK when I see one.  Expectations were rightly low for this pork roll experience but sometimes the best ability is availability.  I have to admit, this was way better than some bullshit cafeteria eggs and bacon I would have gotten at any other airport.  (Except DCA where you can get a pretty good breakfast burrito at El Centro in Terminal B/C.) Let's check out the tale of the tape.




Bread Rating: 5.4/10 (A huge potato roll that was frankly sad looking.)

Pork Roll Rating: 6.6/10 (Pros: Pork Roll at the airport! It wasn't terrible. Cons: Two thin slices.  They called it Taylor Ham)

Egg Rating: 4.8/10 (I mean this was a quick cook scrambled egg that you'd get on the egg platter that they just plopped onto a sandwich.) 

Cheese Rating: 4.5/10 (Likely a step below a Kraft single but just above what they serve at the prison next door.  OK let's just be honest, they're serving the same thing at the prison next door.)

Sandwich Composition: 5.2/10 (It's bold to attempt this at an airport and I'm sad for all the travelers not familiar with the real NJ that have to have this be their first experience.  Skimped on pork roll, overdone eggs, and ketchup on the side.  I ate this in about five seconds.)

Overall Rating: 5.3/10

Price: $11 (I mean...)

**Come back tomorrow when I obnoxiously rank every single Bay Area meal I had (including a breakfast sandwich I liked so much I got on two days in a row.)**

No comments:

Post a Comment