Monday, February 10, 2020

PEC Challenge: Bagel Guys Deli

Note: I was without my car last week and am in Boston this week so, unfortunately, no Taliercio's sandwiches again.  Luckily for you, I have a couple of PEC's in the bank for this week.  #Content

You know who would hate this blog with the utmost passion? Joaquin Phoenix.  In case you missed it, the 92nd annual Hollywood adoration-fest was last night, where Joaquin took home Best Actor for his portrayal of mentally unstable Arthur Fleck in Joker.  I've always been a fan of Joaquin's work and the win this year is more than deserved. But we're not here to talk about acting, we're here to talk about food.  During his acceptance speech, he went on to describe the horrors and burdens humans have by sitting atop the food chain.  Oh, you like meat? How about cheese? Well, guess what, murderer, Joaquin is here for species equality.  He listed pretty much every ingredient you find in a pork roll, egg, and cheese as the reason we are all ruining the world.  A total buzzkill as I laid on the couch thinking about how I was about to write about my favorite breakfast sandwich tomorrow.  The good news? Joaquin isn't going to cancel my blog.  Because he also came out against canceling people.  So, in a move of solidarity, I will vow on this blog, that whenever I try every single pork roll, egg, and cheese in the world, I will join him in veganism.  I know Joaquin will be waiting patiently to accept me back into the tribe with open arms.  But until then, I will continue to order slices of a slaughtered pig, cooked eggs stolen from a chicken coup, and cheese taken from the milk of cows all around the Tri-State area.  A trifecta of sin.  Sorry, I'm not sorry.  I'm sure my boy Bong Joon Ho isn't nursing his hangover today with a kale salad, and neither should you.  


Bread Rating: 6.8/10 (Fairly average bagel, had some good toast on the outside.)

Pork Roll Rating: 7.4/10 (Thin slices piled high, good job with the griddle, not too overheated. Average tasting pork roll.)

Egg Rating: 6.6/10 (A thin fried egg, was it there I don't know, pork roll is the star here.)

Cheese Rating: 6.7/10 (Regular American yellow on the egg, nothing too memorable.)

Sandwich Composition: 7.2/10 (They did a good job with the composition here especially since it was on a bagel.  SPK ratio was spot on and they really made the pork roll the focus of the sandwich.)

Overall: 6.9/10 (A solid, college spot for a PEC for Monmouth University students nearby.  I really loved the laid back vibe inside, which is what you want when you are across the street from the beach.)

Price: $6, credit cards are accepted.

Bagel Guys Deli is located at 55 Brighton Ave, Long Branch, NJ 07740

No comments:

Post a Comment