Monday, April 1, 2019

PEC Challenge: Slater's Deli

Apparently, it's tax season and as per tradition, I waited until the calendar struck April to file.  Why am I telling you this? Because what started as a lovely drive past the (formerly) asbestos-ridden building of my Middle School (Bayshore, give me some love*) to my tax guy, ended with perhaps our most monstrous pork roll yet.  I knew what I was getting into when I decided to relent to Slater's Deli staring me in the face as I dropped off my tax forms.  Growing up, there was a Slater's Deli right on the highway behind the "Indian burial ground" woods in my neighborhood. We risked capture from devil worshippers, Native American hauntings and poison ivy just to get to the place but a large sub from here would basically feed all of the neighborhood kids and we'd still have some left over.  For the uninitiated, it can really take you by surprise when you're handed the below when you order. This is no April Fools joke.  How much pork roll is too much pork roll?  Let's find out.  

Bread Rating: 7.6/10 (Solid rolls here, though they can get soggy because...)

Pork Roll Rating: 9.4/10 (There's almost an obnoxious amount on here and it does make the overall sandwich pretty greasy but I mean come on, you can take some off the sandwich and have side pork roll!)

Egg Rating: 6.9/10 (A very good fried egg, completely overshadowed by the meats)

Cheese Rating: 6.5/10 (Your typical yellow American cheese)

Sandwich Composition: 5.5/10 (It was a complete mess of a sandwich due to the amount of meat sliding around. I used to absolutely love something like this when I was a teenager, but now at 30 I just felt a little bit more disgusting than usual.)

Overall Rating: 7.1/10 (Look, this one is obviously not for everyone but the sandwich still tasted great even if it kind of grossed me out. If you like eating challenges or just love pork roll, this is a good option for you.) 

Price: $6.50, 4% charge on card transactions. 

Follow me on Instagram @eljefeeats

Slater's Deli is located at 866 NJ-36 (New name Sandy Hook Highway) Leonardo, NJ 07737.

*"Bayshore give me some love" was the beginning of our middle school's "fight song" and really it just reminds me of our illustrious 0-14 8th grade basketball season.     

No comments:

Post a Comment