Monday, April 22, 2019

Sandwich Challenge: Cheech and Chong

*Editor's note (me): I ate this sandwich on 4/20 but was too hungover to even contemplate writing anything.  Probably should have just sparked up.


I have a confession to make.  I have never seen a single Cheech and Chong film (unless you count their triumphant acting reunion voicing characters in FernGully).  Yet, their influence on pop culture transcends time, starting what will become known as the genre of stoner comedy.  Their first feature film Up in Smoke (1978) inspired such classics as Clerks (1994), Friday (1995), Bio-Dome (1996), Half Baked (1998), The Big Lebowski (1998), Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle (2004), Grandma's Boy (2006) and Pineapple Express (2008).  (And yes, these are the best of the genre, don't @me).  Did you also know that Cheech and Chong are Grammy Award winners?  In 1974, they won Best Comedy Album for Los Cochinos which included collaborations with George Harrison and Carole King.  You've probably heard one of their songs, "Basketball Jones" featured in the movie Space Jam.  (It was covered by Barry White and Chris Rock for that movie's album).  


Cheech and Chong: Mesquite Smoked Turkey, Cheddar, Bacon, Red Onion, BBQ Sauce


The Cheech and Chong was one of my first go-to paninis from Taliercio's and an all-time favorite of my friends.  And just how I've likely disappointed my mother by celebrating stoner culture (legalize it), I too was disappointed to learn that my go-to sandwich was not the best one at Taliercio's.  (I have 57 sandwiches to go until I declare a winner).  If you're into smokey BBQ flavor, this is the panini for you.  The smoked turkey, bacon and BBQ sauce compliment each other perfectly and you'll be sure to appreciate the amount of melted cheese this panini has to offer. (After repeatedly using the verb "smoked" I finally understand why this panini is named the Cheech and Chong, I swear I'm not high right now.) But it seems either my taste might have changed a bit since high school for better or worse, or I've just had this one a bit too often in my life to really appreciate it fully for the first time.  Regardless, it still remains a solid choice and one I would recommend to any first-timer.  

Overall: 7.2/10

Anyway, here's a clip of Cheech and Chong performing Basketball Jones on The Simpsons in 2011. 


No comments:

Post a Comment