Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Sandwich Challenge: The Duke

So I originally scheduled this sandwich for next week in anticipation of celebrating Duke's 6th National Championship and salvaging my last place bracket.  As predicted, the move mushed the shit out of Duke as they lost to Michigan State yet again in the Elite Eight. The mush is when you are so sure of a sports prediction and the complete opposite happens. I'm not sure when I acquired the mush (also known as Draids on the show The League) but I do have a theory about it. The deeper you are in a relationship, the bigger the mush you become. It's just science.  For example, the biggest mush I have ever seen is married.  (Shoutout Marty Mush).  So, here's your sports gambling tip of the week: always fade your married friends.  Anyway, please enjoy this Mount Rushmore of my favorite Duke players: 

Trajan Langdon

"The Alaskan Assassin" was the first college basketball player that became appointment TV for me to watch.  From 1995-1999, he set the school's all-time three-point record and can be solely blamed for me only practicing three-point shots for the first few years of my mediocre basketball career.  

Christian Laettner   

I never actually watched Christian Laettner play at Duke since I was three when he hit that shot against Kentucky.  But CBS did show that shot ad nauseam for a decade and a half during every college basketball tournament and I watched the documentary "I Hate Christian Laettner." Everyone knows I love a good villain. Which brings me to. 

J.J. Reddick

From hitting every single three (except when he actually needed to hit a three) to every free throw, I think J.J. Reddick might have the nicest shot I've ever seen.  Taunting Maryland fans every year is a huge plus.  Might be my most favorite college basketball player to watch of all-time. 

Jason Williams

I remember being in awe seeing Jason Williams play during the Jersey Shore Summer League after his freshman year at Duke.  During his time there, he was New Jersey's biggest collegiate athlete and the biggest superstar in College Basketball.  He wasn't the national villain Reddick or Laettner was, but he was far and away the more talented player.  




The Duke: Hot Roast Beef, Hot Peppers and Onions, American Cheese

Now to the sandwich.  I gasped when I opened this one up.  It's really a cheesesteak except with roast beef, which as you can guess by reading up on my experience with the Peter Luger and Dean Martin, I just love the roast beef at Taliercio's.  They give you an option on this sandwich of hot or sweet peppers. (I will always go with hot peppers, we aren't soft on this blog). I absolutely love hot peppers on just about anything and now that it's baseball season again (#LGM) I'm ready to have my fair share of sausage and peppers at Citi Field.  Yellow American cheese works just fine on this sandwich, it'll never blow you away like mozzarella.  Very simply, if you're craving a cheesesteak but hate Philadelphia (sorry Philly fans) or are mad at Bryce Harper (sorry, DC fans), this is going to be your move.  

Overall: 8.2/10 (Definitely enjoy the roast beef better in a sandwich than panini, hot peppers give it a bump)

*I should have a lot of fun at the gym later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment