Monday, April 8, 2019

PEC Challenge: Taylor Sam's

Wrestlemania happened last night, and thanks to the ever incompetent NJ Transit, it might have happened in New Jersey for the last time. Would I, a member of a frequently used text group "WWE Fantasy Bookers," regret not attending pro wrestling's biggest event when it was held in my backyard?  Wrestlemania has always been a big deal for me and my friends but with a nearly 8-hour run-time and tickets nearing $400, it just seemed better to hang out at a friend's house, fire up the grill and enjoy it from home like usual.  There were definitely some awesome moments of the night (see: The Miz suplexing Shane McMahon off a camera platform 20 feet in the air; The Iiconics Women's Tag Team win; Kofi Kingston's WWE Title win;).  But my overall feeling towards the event was that it really wore me out.  Now that I think about it though, spending $400 might have been worth it to not have to listen to Michael Cole on commentary.  And that's talking wrestling.  

As per tradition, I started the big day off with a pork roll.  Before hitting the Red Bank Street Fair (where I purchased a 100-year-old picture of downtown Red Bank, nerd alert), I stopped into one of my favorite breakfast spots in RB; Taylor Sam's.  Every time I go there I try something new and it never disappoints (I can confirm their omelets and pancakes are awesome). But today was the day I judged their pork roll or "Original Taylor" as they named it.  Like most diner experiences, you have to apply your own SPK (salt, pepper, ketchup) so please excuse my heavy-handed ketchup application in the picture below. It's always so hard to gauge how much to pour on when they give you a bowl of ketchup!



Bread Rating: 7.3/10 (The kaiser roll was good but it would have been better if it were a little smaller.)

Pork Roll Rating: 7.6/10 (Three slices, grilled well done)

Egg Rating: 8.2/10 (They do fried eggs really well here)

Cheese Rating: 7.6/10 (Had a solid melt, seemed like real cheese)

Sandwich Composition: 6.4/10 (Sandwich itself was put together nicely, but the roll was a little too big in relation to the contents which make the first few bites primarily bread.) 

Overall Rating: 7.4/10 (A solid PEC, which did not surprise me because pretty much everything on their menu is good)

Price: $4.80 (which if we're being honest is an incredible value)

Follow me on Instagram @eljefeeats

Taylor Sam's is located at 20 Broad St. Red Bank, NJ 07701.  Their original location is located at 1563 NJ-88 Brick, NJ 08724.  

No comments:

Post a Comment