Friday, September 20, 2019

EMERGENCY BLOG UPDATE

Sorry to cause any alarm here, this isn't an actual emergency.  For the first time ever, I could not eat the 2nd half of my sandwich from yesterday, like I said the ranch was just too much.  I found myself this in a bit of a pickle this afternoon.  What do I want for lunch? It's beautiful out so I figured I'd take a stroll and remembered that there is a new lunch spot in town. After 25 years, long time soup slinger, Gary Sable, retired as That Hot Dog Guy served countless Red Bank residents soups and hot dogs in a tiny shop next to The Dublin House.  A couple of weeks ago, the location reopened as Soul Sandwich with new owner Steve DeAngelo keeping Sable's soup recipes while introducing some of his own.  And while this isn't a blog about soups, what I'm here for are the sandwiches.  Every week, Steve will introduce new specials and based on what he told me today, I'm expecting some really awesome things in the future.  That's why I'm declaring that each Monday I will take the short walk over to Soul Sandwich and chronicle their weekly specials.  I love local businesses and from what I saw today I think Steve will be a more than welcome addition to the many local businesses Red Bank already boasts.  So for those of you following at home here's the deal.  Monday's will be Soul Sandwich.  Thursday's Taliercio's.  Fill in the blanks on pork roll, egg, and cheeses, (one per week, maybe more depending on where life takes me.) as well as some additional videos of PEC's, likely for special occasions and reviews.  Now let's break this sandwich down.


The Heater: Cracked Pepper Turkey, Pepper Jack Cheese, Hot Relish, Mayo, Lettuce, Tomato


Fresh is the first thing that came to mind when I bit into this sandwich.  The ingredients in this sandwich were probably some of my favorites which explains why I loved it so much.  Not trying to be dramatic but the hot relish was incredible, maybe the best I've ever had.  It's a shame I canceled #daygamedogs (due to the Mets sucking) or else I would be there every single day game for some of that hot relish on a hot dog.  The sandwiches here come with your choice of bread: hard roll, and I think he said whole wheat and rye were the other options, obviously, I went with the hard roll.   It was just the right amount for lunch where you feel completely satisfied without having to walk it off later that afternoon.  I know I'm writing all of this on a Friday so you'll have to, unfortunately, wait until Monday to try it yourself (and a whole new weekly special) since Soul Sandwich is only open Monday-Friday from 10-4 so you really have to be local to enjoy this spot but if you're in the Red Bank area and looking for lunch, you should check out Soul Sandwich. 

Soul Sandwich is located at 30 Monmouth St, Red Bank NJ 07701 (Right in the Irish walk next to The Dublin House.)

1 comment:

  1. Long time reader, first time writer.
    Do you ever add any fixins to your sammies? e.g. salt/pepper, hot sauce, cheese, blood of your enemies, cheese, paprika, etc? Or do you just go in str8 up? Either way, big fan. Keep it up. Hope to one day meat you. <3

    ReplyDelete