Thursday, September 26, 2019

Taliercio's Sandwich Challenge-Cannonball

This weekend, Red Bank will not only be hosting their annual Oyster Fest but also a Pirate Day.  I'm not entirely sure I know what that means but if you're planning on going out in Red Bank get ready to see some Jack Sparrow inspired get-ups.  Will they shoot a cannonball (or several) into the Navesink?  Will the river be lined with old pirate ships? As I look out onto the river, I honestly hope so.  To my knowledge, there have never been any pirate raids on this river (unless you count the Dutch purchasing the land from the Lenape Tribe or the thousands of illegally shipped crates of alcohol during prohibition as piracy. ) as the area has historically been secure in its population.  But why name the sandwich cannonball?  Did the creator have a proclivity (word of the day!) towards jumping into pools in a cannonball position? Maybe they found a cannonball in their backyard, abandoned by retreating British forces during the Revolutionary War.  Or they might really enjoy the 1976 film Cannonball! starring David Carradine(RIP).   Any of those are possible, we may never know. I guess I could just ask next time I'm there, but that will take away all of the fun we just had guessing.  Alright, this is getting weird, let's get to the sandwich. 


Cannonball: Roasted Turkey, Melted Cheddar, Bacon, BBQ Sauce


The Cannonball has striking similarities to crowd-favorite Cheech and Chong, but I think this might just work better as a sandwich rather than a panini.  I got this sandwich "heated up" so you can imagine how delightful the freshly melted cheddar must have been with the bacon and BBQ sauce.  Another advantage of these four ingredients in the sandwich? There's about a pound and a half more turkey on the sandwich than on the panini.  That's just science.  And if you're a carnivore like me that should put a smile on your face.  

Overall: 7.4/10

The movie Cannonball! had such a cool concept.  Basically, it's an illegal race from LA to NY which I've always said would be the coolest thing NASCAR could ever produce.  I would watch the shit out of that during a weekend.  So if anyone working for NASCAR is reading and wants to get (1) new fan, you know what to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment