Tuesday, September 3, 2019

PEC Challenge: King of Bagels and Subs

Do you remember Memorial Day? Yeah, you know the weekend I blogged about the "healthy" options of Taliercio's going into another beach season? Well, shit really fell off the wagon since then.  At my now advanced age, Labor Day Weekend is around the time when all of my summer transgressions begin to catch up with me.  Three months straight of winging it (IE eating out for every meal) will do that to your mind, body, and wallet.  Today was the first time I've gone grocery shopping in weeks.  Don't worry, the sandwich and pork roll blogs will continue on a more regular schedule but let's just say I need to get my shit together.  Last week, I went back down to my main office of Alexandria and made a stop in King of Bagels and Subs in Howell, another delightful stop right off I-195 coming across the state on my 6am commute.  I figured with a name like King of Bagels, this place would surely have bagels good enough to win the admiration of my co-workers for at least an hour.  King of Bagels is located in a pretty depressing strip mall off of US-9 that (like most establishments on US-9) looks like it's seen better days.  The guy working there was very nice and assured me that I made the right choice on bagel place, as the "place down the street uses previously frozen bagels and ours are fresh." Perfect, I thought.  Let's see how my new friend did on the PEC.   




Editor's Note: I ate this PEC on 8/29

Bread Rating: 5.8/10 (The bagels here were just OK.  With a name like "King of Bagels" you need to bring it.  I can't imagine how the "other bagel shop's" are.)

Pork Roll Rating: 7.6/10 (Multiple layers of pork roll cut thin, crispy on the outside.  Pretty nice.)

Egg Rating: 7.2/10 (Pretty average fried egg, three layers with pork roll in between.)

Cheese Rating: 6.2/10 (Negligible cheese, couldn't even tell it was there.)

Sandwich Composition: 7.2/10 (Bagel construction is tough but the SPK ratio was pretty decent on this.  Liked the layers of egg and pork roll.)

Overall Rating: 6.8/10 (An average PEC, I was able to eat it while driving without making a complete mess which is a win.)

Price: $5

King of Bagels and Subs is located at 4046 US-9, Howell Township, NJ 07731

No comments:

Post a Comment