Thursday, June 4, 2020

PEC Challenge: Sheepshead Baygel


This has been a long, long time coming on this blog.  After several inquiries (from one family, in particular, love you guys), I have finally made it to Sheepshead Baygels.  Here's a fun fact.  Did you know I've driven past Sheepshead Baygels THOUSANDS of times in my life and always wondered why they spelled "bagels" like "baygels."  Well, it took me decades to realize that the name is derived from the Brooklyn neighborhood of Sheepshead Bay.  (My family isn't from Brooklyn in my defense so I don't have much familiarity to the area except that the starting point of GTA IV is modeled after it.) Since I don't know anything about this neighborhood, I wikipedia'd it and it turns out Sheepshead Bay is named after the sheepshead fish that are common in the waters there. These same waters are used in making the best bagels in the country.  Yes, I just declared it.  Brooklyn bagels reign supreme, deal with it.  When Sheepshead Baygels opened its doors in 1998, it brought with them the quality and consistency of a bagel from Brooklyn at the peak of the suburban migration to the Jersey Shore.  



Bread Rating: 9.4/10 (These are some of the very best bagels you can find in Monmouth County.)

Pork Roll Rating: 8.8/10 (People say there's no difference between Taylor Ham and Pork Roll, I disagree.  This might not have been Taylor's brand, but the razor-thin slices of pork roll reminded me of the Taylor Ham sandwiches from my youth in North Jersey. There is a difference! In my opinion, thinner sliced pork roll doesn't overwhelm with salt and gives the pork roll a better flavor.  You might disagree but you are wrong.)

Egg Rating: 8.4/10 (A fried egg, but take a look at the pepper on there.  Seasoning is key!) 

Cheese Rating: 7.8/10 (Quality Land O Lakes cheese, and it was melted.)

Sandwich Composition: 8.6/10 (SPK ratio was spot on, the contents were secured between the awesome bagel.)

Overall: 8.6/10 (Live in Monmouth County but from Bergen or Hudson? This is the pork roll, egg, and cheese for you.  The best way I could describe this sandwich was nostalgia.  Excellent bagel, thinly sliced pork roll, and nothing but good memories.  Sheepshead consistently brings it.) 

Price: $6, cash only 

Sheepshead Baygels is located at 2095 NJ-35 Holmdel, NJ 07733 

No comments:

Post a Comment