Friday, March 22, 2019

PEC Challenge: Brennan's Delicatessen of Middletown

March Madness began yesterday and with it another day of deflating losses and horrific picks.  I'm close to last place in almost every bracket I've entered, which is an embarrassing showing coming from a guy who's first AIM screenname (RIP) was marchmadman.  Hoping for a bounce-back day on the 2nd Tournament Day of the first round starting with a pork roll (Happy Hour may have gotten a bit aggressive yesterday).  A new (kind of) deli has emerged on the Seaside Highway (Rt. 35) in Middletown.  Brennan's has been a staple in Rumson for many years, and a great spot to pick up a sandwich on the way to the beach. (Brendan, hi).  Naturally, I was very excited to hear they were opening a location right across the highway from Sunken City and a short 3-minute drive down the road from me.  What better way to cure the blues of the Thursday picks and get your Friday off to a great start than to go to a brand new deli with an established presence in the marketplace? 



I'm going to lose all of my games today, aren't I? What you see above is not a pork roll, egg, and cheese.  Nope.  It's a bacon, egg, and cheese. I'm not sure where the disconnect was, my receipt said PEC on it, but imagine the horror and disappointment when I opened up the tin foil and found the above. Don't get me wrong, bacon, egg, and cheese are OK but that's not what we're here for.  I have no choice but to grade what I was given but since it's March Madness, I will go to the original Brennan's location tomorrow for redemption.  Hopefully, the few winners I picked yesterday will come through for me tomorrow and make it to the Sweet 16.  


Bread Rating: 7.2/10 (I enjoyed the hard roll this was on)

Pork Roll Rating: 0/10 (Bacon just isn't the correct breakfast meat on a sandwich. I'm sorry I have to tell you this but look how skimpy the sandwich looks without pork roll.)

Egg Rating: 6.3/10 (Barely any on there)

Cheese Rating: 6.8/10 (There was the correct amount of cheese on this)

Sandwich Composition: 5.4/10 (I mean, I got the wrong sandwich, salt pepper ketchup ratio was there.) 

Overall Rating: 5.1/10 

Price: $5.50, cards accepted.  Priced a little high for the value received, hoping for a big-time turnaround tomorrow. 

Follow me on Instagram @eljefeeats

Brennan's Delicatessen of Middletown is located at 212 NJ-35 (Seaside Highway) Red Bank, NJ 07701. (It's in the Middletown part of Red Bank).

*Just realized I ate meat again on Friday during Lent, so in a way, I deserved this. Hello, Catholic guilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment