Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Sandwich Challenge: Sammy Davis Jr.

My tribute to The Rat Pack Continues. 

Xavier +7 hit, in case you guys were wondering from the cliff-hanger I left on the last blog in AC.  And it's a good thing too because other than Tennesse, I picked only losers on Saturday to just about negate any gains I made on Friday.  Those two day AC trips really get you! Anyway, while staying at the Hard Rock all weekend, I got a glimpse of a lot of memorabilia from the rat pack days, including the freshest suits I have ever seen.  

Sammy Davis Jr's on stage career began at age three, performing in vaudeville shows with his father and he performed for nearly 20 years in comedy, dancing and acting before joining the Rat Pack.  Davis was the Rat Pack's first African-American member and is regarded as the most talented of the group with a 60-year career in just about all forms of on-stage entertainment.  Due to his mixed-race marriage in 1960, JFK opposed him performing during his inauguration.  Twelve years later, Richard Nixon would invite Davis and his third wife Altovise to a White House sleepover, the first time African-Americans were invited to do so.  He's an absolute legend and an icon for racial equality. If you have the chance make sure to check out the PBS documentary that aired last month, "I've Gotta Be Me." I know, I know PBS documentary, what am I 80? Just check it out, I'll leave the trailer below.  



Sammy Davis Jr.: Turkey Pastrami, Sauerkraut, Swiss, Russian Dressing

I'm going to go ahead and assume these were the things Sammy Davis Jr. enjoyed on a sandwich, though my 5-second google search didn't yield any results.  This was, again, another very solid panini.  I wasn't too sure what the difference was between turkey pastrami and regular deli meat turkey breast.  Turns out turkey pastrami is taken from the thighs, seasoned with peppercorns, and smoked.  The more you know! The sauerkraut and Russian dressing are so subtle you'd have no idea it's in there by just looking at it.  However, the flavor is all there, and we all know you can never go wrong with melted swiss.  

Rating: 7.3/10




No comments:

Post a Comment