Friday, March 15, 2019

PEC Challenge: Perry's Cafe & Deli

Greetings from Atlantic City!  Took an early trip down this morning in order to optimize some NCAA bets starting at noon, but before we start rooting for the overs, I needed to get some food in me.  Atlantic City is a great time if you don't stray more than one block away from your hotel.  Well, this classic cafe was situated a couple of blocks away from our humble abode (Hard Rock) in what some people might call a "rough" block.  Would this be my first choice? No.  But it was on the way to the Hard Rock and I figured why not do the real AC before hitting all the glitz of the resorts.  

It's a classic diner vibe inside, with a wide assortment of breakfast and lunch items to choose from.  I'm here for one thing though and that's the pork roll.  I went with a hard roll, though they also have english muffins and bagels, likely left over from the continental breakfast offered at the Best Western next door.  A couple of weeks ago I went to a place with well-done pork roll that worked, this one fell a little short.  And while the use of white American and fried eggs saved what would have been an unmemorable PEC, there was a little too much bread to meats.  Anyway, time to go back to the bar, I have Xavier +7.  



Bread Rating: 5.2/10 (The bread was actually toasted correctly, there was just too much of it.)

Pork Roll Rating: 6.1/10 (Well-done, two slices, though layered in between the egg.)

Egg rating: 7.2/10 (Two fried eggs, good stuff)

Cheese Rating: 7.4/10 (Multiple slices of white American)

Sandwich Composition: 5.6/10 (This is probably a very spoiled complaint and likely expected at diners, but I had to deconstruct the sandwich to apply my own ketchup, which reminded me of Virginia)

Overall Rating: 6.3/10 

Price: $6.25, plus whatever change you want to give the panhandler outside.  

Perry's Cafe & Deli is located at 1339 Pacific Ave. Atlantic City, NJ 08401.  

No comments:

Post a Comment