Friday, November 15, 2019

PEC Challenge: Gem's III Port Monmouth

Earlier this week, I began validating this year's top 33 pork rolls in NJ as rated by NJ.com.  Well, when I actually read the article, I noticed that the Gem's that was regarded in the top 33 (suspiciously) was the Port Monmouth location.  Because not every Gem's is the same, I needed to test out the location on the list.  With this review, we are now halfway(!) through all of the Gem's locations with two in Hazlet and Keansburg remaining.  I have to say, this Gem's was seemingly very popular, in fact, it might be their most popular location. (No, I don't have the numbers to back that up, shut up.)  I get it, the Gem's Empire touches a ton of people in the Bayshore area and they wouldn't be able to expand the way the did if they didn't have a loyal customer base.  But do they deserve to be in the top 33 in the entire state??  This is what I'm getting paid Oliver Twist money to provide for you.  You're welcome. 



Bread Rating: 7.7/10 (Good bagels with some nice crisp on them.)

Pork Roll Rating: 8.1/10 (There's nothing like some well-seasoned pork roll to warm your heart.  Three slices, medium cut.  Now if they could work on getting the pork roll evenly on the sandwich...)

Egg Rating: 7.5/10 (Fried egg with good seasoning, might have been too much pepper for some people but I didn't mind it.)

Cheese Rating: 6.4/10 (Pretty average, cheap, Yellow American cheese.)

Sandwich Composition: 5.5/10 (I know it's hard to put a breakfast sandwich together on a bagel but come on.  The pork roll was all to one side leaving mostly cheese on the opposing side.  Can't win pork roll championships with that kind of execution.)

Overall: 7.04/10 (I refuse to go round numbers and so does my very scientific rating system.  This was the best Gem's thus far, only three more Gem's to go.  As far as PEC's go this one was about average so I'm still baffled as to how it got on NJ.com's top 33 PEC's list this year.  I'm expecting nothing less than a consultation for next year's list, looking at you @petegenovese.

Price: $5.75, card accepted for a 10% convenience fee. 

Gem's III is located at 387 NJ-36, Port Monmouth, NJ 07758

No comments:

Post a Comment