Monday, November 4, 2019

PEC Challenge: Stroker's Deli

If you don't know this already, my NFL team is the Cowboys.  I know, how can someone so in love with New Jersey and losers like the Mets be a fan of such an elitist, self-centered team from Texas (some may say the Yankees of the NFL). But I, like most boys, grew up a fan of whatever team my dad rooted for.  When my dad came to the U.S. in 1971, he made an effort to assimilate to American culture the best he could by rooting for whatever team was the best in the country. In his case, the Cowboys (nothing more American from an outside perspective than cowboys) and the Mets (incredibly) were those teams.  Tonight, for the first time since Troy Aikman was QB1, I'm going to a Cowboys game with my dad.  Monday Night Football against the New York Giants.  Want to know what happened last time we did this? It was November 24th, 1996, and the Cowboys were defending Super Bowl champions. As you can imagine, in 1996, it was not a ton of fun going to NY games wearing opposing team jerseys.  Nothing was going to stop me from wearing my Aikman jersey to a Cowboys game, not my friends warning me of the repercussions or my dad asking me a hundred times if I thought it was a good idea (I was 7 and like today, I rarely had any "good" ideas).  Just keep in mind the fact that I was 7 years old when I tell you what happened at that game.  It was great.   The Cowboys lost that game 20-6 as adults tossed beer and every insult/slur my way.  My very first beer shower.  I'm not telling you this story so you feel bad for me by the way, quite the contrary, I think it's a hilarious story that built character (if anything like this happened today Blue Checkmark Twitter would demand the cancellation of all sporting events).  And while I'm not advocating the return of that behavior or expecting anything remotely close to that treatment tonight I'm still going to rock my Cowboys jersey in hopes that I can once again relive my favorite Shawn Michaels moment.

If there's anything that can define my personality it's this video.

By the way, last time I went to a Giants-Cowboys game, I caught the stomach flu the morning of and threw up all over my buddy's apartment (sorry, Maddog) and had the pleasure of watching Gavin Escobar own the Giants secondary so I'm 1-1 for lifetime Giants-Cowboys games at Giants Stadium.  Just like in 1996, I rocked my Cowboys gear and was actually surprised by the amount other Cowboys fans there were.  We'll see how it goes tonight. 

I know.  Weird name for a deli but I'm going to guess it's the last name of the owner? For some reason, this deli didn't appear on any map search I did when creating my pork roll list.  Luckily for me, I'm an observant driver and noticed it nestled next to The Grove West while driving to Bagelmasters.  In fact, this spot is right across the street from Bagelmasters.  Inside, you'll find a pretty old school deli scene, with a few stools to sit at and a TV blaring The Today Show.  (And Boars Head deli meat signs everywhere, which is my indication of a good deli).  





Bread Rating: 6.3/10 (Bread was a little too fluffy and really overtook the entire sandwich.  Just look at how much bread there is to actual meat!)

Pork Roll Rating: 6.8/10 (Three thin slices with egg and cheese in between each.  It was kind of hard to see any pork roll on this sandwich but it was there and it was pretty average.)

Egg Rating: 7.1/10 (Two fried eggs, layered the outsides of the pork roll slices.  Also, average.)

Cheese Rating: 6.9/10 (Cheese was there and melted.)

Sandwich Composition: 6.4/10 (Very heavy on the ketchup, bread to meat ratio was a bit uneven.  I did like how the pork roll and eggs were layered and it was by no means a complete abomination.)

Overall: 6.7/10 (I mean with Bagelmasters pretty much directly across the street I'm not sure you would come here specifically for a PEC.  It certainly wasn't the worst and if you're heading southbound on 35/Broad St in Shrewsbury and for some reason don't want to hook a left at any point you could stop here and be fine.  It did look like they had a decent amount of subs and offered Italian hot dogs if that's your jam.)

Price: $5, cash encouraged.

Stroker's Deli is located at 566 Broad St, Shrewsbury, NJ 07702

No comments:

Post a Comment