Thursday, October 31, 2019

Taliercio's Challenge: John Candy

I know today's Halloween and you've all enjoyed a healthy amount of Kit Kats for breakfast this morning but we're going to be celebrating a different candy this week.  (Wait, people don't eat Kit Kats for breakfast).  You probably know John Candy as that funny larger gentleman from the 80s and early 90s who starred in comedy classics such as Stripes, Splash, Spaceballs, Uncle Buck, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Cool Runnings, and a personal favorite of mine, Home Alone. (Though Home Alone 2 is better). He started his career in the Toronto branch of Second City, a famous Chicago improv group that produced comedians such as Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, Catherine O'Hara, Martin Short, Harold Ramis, Robin Duke, Joe Flaherty, and Andrea Martin.  Together they starred in SCTV, a popular Canadian version of SNL, which became very popular in the U.S. from 1976-1984.  Unfortunately, John Candy died of a heart attack in 1994 while making his final film Wagons East.  But he left behind a lasting legacy of comedy and has gone down as one of Canada's funniest exports.  There's also a panini in his honor from Taliercio's.  I'm not entirely sure why these ingredients were chosen for him but I'm rolling with it.  Happy Halloween.  


John Candy: Roast Pork, Broccoli Rabe, Sundried Tomatoes, Provolone, Balsamic Glaze

I know I previously declared my new found love for broccoli rabe but I didn't love it on a panini. Interestingly, I found the provolone delightful when melted (I find it a little sharp sometimes otherwise).  Funny what a little chemistry will do to your food.  This was almost nearly identical to the Tony G sandwich except with roast pork instead of turkey but I think this combination just works better as a sandwich than a panini.  It could be just me but the broccoli rabe was just a bit overpowering with the bitterness in the panini. 

Overall: 6.3

No comments:

Post a Comment