Wednesday, November 27, 2019

PEC Challenge: Better Bagels Boston

Did you know that there's a surprising amount of pork roll options in Boston?  I didn't. I previously covered Moody's in Back Bay to less than stellar reviews. Better Bagels is in the Seaport District which has recently (~5 years?) been completely overhauled from old warehouses into hundreds of shops, dining, and apartments.  Pretty cool.  You know what wasn't cool?  Paying $15 to park for 11 minutes while I picked up this bad boy.  That's Boston, baby.  Better Bagels is mostly like the rest of the things in Seaport these days, new.  It's a little spot with just the counter and a little ledge at the window to wait at.  They offer sandwiches ranging from local (Somerville=Bacon, Cream Cheese, Tomato, interesting) to abroad (Brooklyn=Lox, Cream Cheese, Tomato, Capers, Onion).  You already know what I came for.  Pork Roll.  They call it "The Jersey Shore," including a disclaimer "exotic breakfast meat from NJ" on their menu.  It's important people know before getting involved with this life.  



Bread Rating: 7.3/10 (They ran out of plain bagels which I found suspicious so I had to roll with the poppy seed bagel.  A little bit of a whole wheat taste to it.  Should I call this a real bagel or bread that was shaped like a bagel? That's the Better Bagels difference.)

Pork Roll Rating: 7.1/10 (Three thick-cut slices of pork roll.  Freshly imported from the exotic lands of New Jersey which were there words, not mine.  It's literally what it says on the menu.)

Egg Rating: 4.8/10 (Oh no.  Is that.  Microwaved egg.  They run the McDonald's egg method here which is fine I guess I won't stick my nose up at it.  But it will cost you.  Mostly my respect.)

Cheese Rating: 8.8/10 (Incredibly, they did not cheap out on the cheese, only the egg.  White American cheese, likely to help you forget about the egg but I never forget.)

Sandwich Composition: 6.4/10 (Takes a hit for the egg debacle and no SPK.  However, they did use foil to wrap the sandwich which those rookies at Bethesda Bagel did not do. Sandwich was otherwise put together nicely.)

Overall: 6.8/10 (I guess you could do worse.)

Price: $9, cards accepted. 

Better Bagels is located at 83a Seaport Blvd, Boston, MA 02210.

No comments:

Post a Comment